Canadian Industrial Heritage
Patrimoine industriel canadien
Cette page contient l'ensemble des informations transmises à ce jour par des intervenants de la conservation du patrimoine industriel du Canada. Il est donc souhaitable que toutes les régions du pays soient représentées. Nous comptons sur votre précieuse collaboration pour que nous puissions afficher le portrait le plus complet possible de notre inventaire canadien. Merci à toutes et à tous.
The timely content of this page is made possible thanks to contributors concerned with Conserving Canada's Industrial Heritage. It is our wish that all parts of the country be represented. We are counting on your precious collaboration for helping us showing a most comprehensive information gathering of our Canadian inventory. Thanks to all.
From the 1890s to the mid 20th century Crowsnest Pass was the most important coal field in Alberta. Today a network of historic mine sites and associated mining towns dot the 13 kilometer corridor to the British Columbia border.
The Crowsnest Heritage Initiative
The Crowsnest Heritage Initiative is a community group interested in preserving and promoting heritage in the Crowsnest Pass, Alberta which includes sites such as Coleman National Historic Site, Bellevue Mine, Lille, Frank Slide interpretive Centre and others.
The Bellevue Mine
The Bellevue Mine operated from 1903 to 1961 and it is now a museum offering underground tours and a museum housed in the historic lamp house.
Frank Slide Interpretive Centre
Frank Slide Interpretive Centre is operated by the Province of Alberta. Built on the site of the 1903 disaster when a massive rock slide buried the town of Frank, it interprets the industrial, economic and social history of the Crowsnest Pass.
Devon - The Canadian Petroleum Discovery Centre
The Canadian Petroleum Discovery Centre is located near the site of Leduc No. 1 which struck oil in 1947 and marked the beginning of Alberta’s post war oil boom. The Centre contains artifacts, photos, archives, interpretive displays and oilfield equipment that interpret the oil industry in Alberta and Canada.
Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site preserves the last of the 139 coal mine sites which once dotted the Drumheller area from the 1910s to the 1970s. Operational from 1936 to 1979 the Atlas Coal Mine is interpreted historic site which features many original buildings including the only surviving example of a square timber tipple in Canada.
Forestburg - Diplomat Mine Museum
Diplomat Mine Museum interprets early stripping mining technology which was introduced into Alberta in 1950. The main attractions of the site are the two massive shovel excavators which date from 1927 and 1937 and were brought to the site in 1950 and1962.
Nordegg - Nordegg National Historic Site
Nordegg National Historic Site interprets the history of the former Brazeau Collieries which operated between 1914 and 1955. The site's coal preparation plant represents the most complete example of such pre-1955 technology in Alberta and southeastern British Columbia.
Medicine Hat - The Historic Clay District
The Historic Clay District is a National Historic Site encompasses a 150-acre area which was once the centre of the Clay Products industry in Medicine from the 1880s to the present day. The Medalta Potteries and Hycroft China plants have been preserved as heritage attractions and much of their machinery is intact.
When Coal was King: Coal Mining in Western Canada is a multimedia resource that explores the history and contributions of coal mining industry. It offers historical overviews, profiles of mining communities, information on labour and political history and interactive educational material.
Vanishing Sentinels is a independently maintained website which documents and inventories grain elevators in Canada. It includes photos and drawings of how various types operated. GrainElevators.ca is a digital photo collection of grain elevators in Canada. Its collection consists of photos of 900 sites across and Canada and the US with the majority from the Prairie Provinces.
Petroleum History Society of Canada was established in 1985 to collect, archive and communicate the history of Canada’s petroleum industry in Alberta and in Canada and to record the stories of those individuals who contributed to its development.
Yorkton municipal heritage site in the news
Yorkton has a Brick Flour mill and Elevator built in 1898. The original elevator (Lake of the Woods) was replaced in 1947. We have documentation and pictures on the history of the site. The Mill has been stripped of most of the equipment (unfortunately) however we are in the process of trying to save the site and buildings.
The Mill is designated a Municipal Heritage Site. The City now owns the property and are tendering to have all the Annex buildings and the elevator demolished but leave the brick mill standing. A few citizens are trying to save both the elevator and mill.
Claybank Brick Plant National Historic Site
The Claybank Brick Plant is the only intact plant of its type and era left in Canada, and may be the best remaining example in North America. It is a National Historic Site that preserves 19th century brick making technology virtually unchanged throughout the 20th century. Tour the large complex with its 10 walk-in kilns and see how bricks were made from clay to kiln 100 years ago.
Hudson Bay - Al Mazur Memorial Heritage Park
The Park consists of a Village depicting Hudson Bay Junction in 1909. A log building houses artifacts depicting the history of the lumber industry in the area dating back to the Red Deer Lumber Co. (1901-1902).
Canora - CN Station House Museum
The Canora railway station houses the Canora Station House Museum and is the oldest Class II railway station still in operation in Saskatchewan.
Swift Current - Doc’s Town Heritage Village
The Heritage Village provides access to a grain elevator that was constructed in 1932 for the Dominion Experimental Station (later known as the Semiarid Prairie Agriculture Research Centre). The Seed Grain Elevator played a significant role in the ongoing research in seed grain development, continuing to place Swift Current on the world stage of agriculture research
Esterhazy - Community Museum
The museum contains the Potash Interpretive Centre. The development of the potash industry in the late 1950s and 1960s had a dramatic impact on Esterhazy’s progress.
The museum site contains a number of buildings and artifacts related to the impact of the railway on the development of the small town of Harris including a wood CN Tower Water Tower; CN Caboose, a granary front, blacksmith shop and railroad jiggers.
Hepburn - Museum of Wheat
The Hepburn Museum of Wheat provides access to a grain elevator
Powerhouse Museum Kamsask
The museum site contains a powerhouse building housing generators that supplied Kamsack and several surrounding communities with electricity between 1915 and 1960.
Langham & District Heritage Village
The majority of artifacts are local, farm-related or domestic.
Melfort & District Museum
The museum features a Pioneer Village as well as an extensive collection of vintage farm machinery, equipment and tools that were used in the development of the agriculture industry and the settling of the area. Buildings on site include a powerhouse, grist mill, blacksmith’s shop and a working sawmill.
Rosthern - Mennonite Heritage Village
Mennonite Heritage Museum houses artifacts pertaining to the area’s pioneer history and agricultural development.
Mossbank & District Museum
The Ambroz Blacksmith Shop is a one storey commercial building with a blacksmith shop in working order and a forge and bellows on display.
Abernathy - Motherwell National Historic Site
Motherwell Homestead depicts the lifestyles, costumes, and architecture of the early 20th century. Costumed guides give you a glimpse of the life and career of pioneer farmer and politician, W.R. Motherwell, and his significant influence on the development of scientific agriculture in Western Canada.
Verigan - National Doukhobor Heritage Village
The National Doukhobour Heritage Village contains eleven buildings that reveal the life and habits of pioneer Doukhobours. The Prayer Home, houses, ”peche” (a brick oven), a “banya” (bathhouse), barns, a blacksmith shop, and a collection of agricultural equipment illustrate the agricultural development of the community of Verigan.
Nipawin & District Living Forestry Museum
The museum is home to numerous displays related to the area’s lumber industry, including household artifacts, vintage vehicles, fully-functional steam-powered saw and shingle mills, functional vintate tractors, and restored historic houses.
Rocanville & District Museum
The museum provides exhibits related to the community’s industrial and agricultural past including stationary and traction steam, gas and diesel engines, and farm machinery.
Saskatoon - Saskatchewan Railway Museum
Saskatchewan Railway Museum in Saskatoon features six acres of displays including restored railway buildings, railway engine, and streetcars. You’ll also see locomotives, passenger cars, and cabooses, many of them from the Canadian National, Canadian Northern and Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Hague - Saskatchewan River Valley Museum
The Saskatchewan River Valley Museum reflects all aspects of the early settlers lives from agriculture to religion. Original buildings of an historical nature include a Mennonite Housebarn, church and schoolhouse.
Weyburn - Soo Line Museum
The museum is located in the power house that was constructed in 1909 and used to provide electricity to nearby communities
Moose Jaw - Sukanen Ship Pioneer Village
The museum site covers 40 acres and includes a pioneer village, a farmyard, the Diefenbaker Homestead, and McCabes grain elevator (former Mawer Sask).
Prince Albert - Vintage Power Machines
Vintage Power Machines acquires and restores farm machinery, artefacts and memorabilia used in pioneer farming in the central and northern parts of Saskatchewan. Their aim is to show how pioneer families influenced the evolution of farming.
Weyburn Area Heritage Village
The Heritage Village boasts a collection of restored houses, circa 1908 - 1930 for its visitors to see. It is a replica of a village community that includes a vintage one room school house, a country church, a blacksmith shop, a barber shop and beauty salon, a service station, antique farm machinery, a 1926 fire engine, and a stagecoach.
Wood Mountain Rodeo/Ranch Museum
The museum features the life of the cowboys and ranchers who first came to the area in the 1880's. Western artifacts, rodeo artifacts, an adobe, a turf club building, and a pioneer kitchen are reminders of early ranch and rodeo life.
WDM Saskatoon branch
The Western Development Museum houses a replica of typical Saskatchewan town with over 30 buildings portraying community life - from the general store overflowing with everything from nails to gingham, to the blacksmith shop ringing with the sound of the hammer striking the anvil.
WDM –Moose Jaw branch
The Western Development Museum describes the industrial and agricultural history of the province.
MANUFACTURING AND PRODUCTION
CANADA MALTING COMPANY SILOS Waterfront, Toronto
In 1928, the opening of the Canada Malting Company (CMC) marked the arrival of the first grain shipments to the harbour in nearly 20 years. The CMC is considered an important example of the Modernist maxim "form follows function"; this design actually influenced the thinking of European Modernist architects. It was also considered a milestone in the history of Canadian civil engineering technology. Abandoned.
DON VALLEY BRICKWORKS
550 Bayview Ave. Toronto, Ontario
The Don Valley Brick Works produced bricks and clay products for over one hundred years. Bricks fired in the Valley were shipped across Canada and used in the construction of many important public buildings in Toronto. Now, the former quarry lands are a natural oasis located in the midst of Toronto. Evergreen, a Toronto-based national charity, is redeveloping the buildings into a community environmental centre built on the themes of nature, culture and community.
COBALT, Ontario - Founded 1906.
In 2001 Cobalt was named "Ontario's Most Historic Town" and in 2002 the area was designated a National Historic Site The silver mines of Cobalt, and the prospectors and miners that discovered them and worked the mines, have left an indelible mark on Canadian history, and the town is known as the birthplace of hard rock mining in Canada. http://www.cobalt.ca
DELORO MINE SITE CLEAN-UP PROJECT
Deloro, Ontario From the Madoc Gold Rush, to its innovations in creating and producing metals and alloys, Deloro played a key role in the history of mining and industry in Canada. The first priority is to complete the cleanup of the mine site, and the ministry is working with the community, heritage organizations, and other provincial ministries to preserve and promote the important natural, industrial, social and environmental history of the Deloro Mine Site. http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/deloro/index.htm
THE GOODERHAM & WORTS DISTILLERY THE DISTILLERY DISTRICT,
The Distillery District is a national Historic Site. Once The Gooderham and Worts Distillery, the site represents the largest and best preserved collection of Victorian Industrial Architecture in North America. The distillery played an important role in the growth and wealth of both the city and nation. Construction of the distillery commenced in 1831. The Distillery District, a complex of 13 acres composed of 44 buildings, is now a premier residential, shopping, restaurant and tourist destination.
HAMILTON MUSEUM OF STEAM & TECHNOLOGY
900 Woodward Ave., Hamilton
This National Historic Site houses the two steam engines which pumped the first clean water to the city over 140 years ago. The site at the Museum of Steam and Technology. The only surviving facility of its time in North America, reflecting the beginning of Canada's industrial revolution, the museum is a Civil and Power Engineering Landmark.
HOFFMAN LIME KILN
Forks of the Credit, Caledon, Ontario
The ruins of a lime-burning Hoffman kiln lie halfway up the slope of the Niagara Escarpment at the Forks of the Credit. A couple of hundred lime kilns were built in Ontario and a few dozen of these were large, industrial operations. The Forks of the Credit kiln is unique as probably the only Hoffman kiln used for lime burning in North America. 1896.
LIMEHOUSE LIME KILNS Esquesing Township
near Guelph, Ontario
Lime set kilns huddle side-by-side in the undergrowth on the Niagara Escarpment at Limehouse. A nearby draw kiln, originally 16 metres high, struggles to hold itself together. These kilns are testaments to the spirit of entrepreneurship and the industrial development of early Ontario. These stone structures stand on Credit Valley Conservation land alongside remnants of a powder magazine, loading dock, millwork walls along Black Creek and the ghost of the quarry that provided stone for the limeworks dating from about 1840. Ruins.
MORNINGSTAR GRIST MILL (1872) ST. CATHERINES
Niagara Region, Ontario
Ghost town and mills Interpretive centre (early 1800’s)
OIL SPRINGS & PETROLIA
This is really a heritage district. In the village of Oil Springs is the site of the first commercial oil well in North America in 1858. The property of Fairbank Oil has operating oil wells still producing with the historic methods and equipment. It has been continuously operated by the same family who are using and developing environmentally friendly methodologies. Adjacent to the property is the Oil Museum of Canada. Within the Town of Petrolia is an historic machine shop with an immense collection of original machinery still producing custom equipment.
ELECTRIC POWER GENERATING STATIONS
CANADIAN NIAGARA POWER GENERATING STATION (WILLIAM BIRCH RANKINE GENERATING STATION)
Niagara Falls, Ontario
The Rankine station built in 1905, was one of the few 25Hz powerhouses surviving in the world actively operating supplying industries in Niagara, on both sides of the border, with 25Hz power until 2006. The plant produced 100,000 hp (about 76MW) via it's eleven generators. The design of the plant provides insight into what could be accomplished with good engineering and relatively simple control systems. Although no longer operating the equipment is still in place
DECEW FALLS POWER GENERATING STATION
Decew Falls, Ontario
In 1886, the transmission of electricity over long distances for commercial purposes was still in much of an experimental stage. In, 1896 the Cataract Power Company of Hamilton Ltd. was formed for the purposes of developing power and transmitting it 56 km (35 miles) to the city of Hamilton. The station was designed and built by in1897 and originally generated power at 66 2/3 Hz prior to any standardization of frequency. Operational.
ONTARIO POWER GENERATING STATION
Niagara Falls, Ontario
The Ontario Power Company was a private, American-owned firm that obtained a share of the water flowing over Niagara Falls in 1901. This decision from the cash-strapped Niagara Parks Commission broke the monopoly on Canadian water rights previously held by the Niagara Falls Power Company. The powerhouse was built below the Horseshoe Falls with three 1.8 km long intake conduits in just four years, allowing the first units of the plant to enter service in 1905. Decommissioned.
SIR ADAM BECK (1) GENERATING STATION
Built in 1921, the Sir Adam Beck Power Generating Station was one of the first public owned stations designed to replace the private owned stations at Niagara Falls. This station started out generating 25 hz. Power with 10 generating units and has gradually been converted to 60 Hz. Power.
TORONTO POWER GENERATING STATION
Niagara Falls, Ontario
The Toronto Power Generating Station began producing power in November of 1906. The plant diverted water from the Niagara River above the falls, which was taken from the rapids by a wing dam. The water passed down into a series of penstocks and into an intake gate to the turbines. Water then followed a 2,000 foot outlet tunnel which ran under the Horseshoe Falls and fed out into the curtain of water. Eleven generators each produced 11,000 horsepower, with a total capacity of approximately 98,000 kilowatts. Shut down December 31st, 1973. Decommissioned.
RAILWAYS & TRANSPORTATION
BIG CHUTE MARINE RAILWAY
First lift built in 1917. A 1923 replacement operated to 2003 and still exists. Newest lift built 1978 accommodates boats up to 30m long x 7.3m wide.
CANADIAN NORTHERN RAILWAY STATION
Smiths Falls, Ontario.
This museum was designated a national site as a result of the architectural and historic significance of the train station in which it is housed. The station was built in 1914 and holds a collection of eastern Ontario railway artifacts, memorabilia and archival materials dating from the 1850s to the 1920s. The collection is focused on Canadian railroads, particularly the Canadian Northern Railway Company. Artifacts from the Canadian National, Canadian Pacific and the Grand Trunk railways are also on display.
LOCK 21 PETERBOROUGH LIFT LOCK
Trent Severn Waterway, Peterborough, Ontario
The dual lifts are the highest hydraulic boat lifts in the world, with a lift of 19.8 m (65 ft). Built 1896, the project included many engineering firsts. It was the first lock to be built out of concrete, and at the time was the largest structure ever built in the world with unreinforced concrete.
PORT STANLEY TERMINAL RAIL, LONDON & PORT STANLEY RAILWAY
Port Stanley, Ontario
Rail yard and shops, operating tourist railway, originally a major railway switching yard.
Between Kingston and Ottawa, Ontario
The oldest continuously operated canal in North America, the locks work today much as they did when first opened in 1832. UNESCO World Heritage Site.
John Street, Toronto
The Toronto Railway Heritage Centre will encompass many different areas of downtown Toronto which, in the past, included vast railway facilities that stretched from Bathurst Street to Yonge Street. The anchors of the museum will be the former Canadian Pacific Railway John Street Roundhouse, the adjacent Roundhouse Park, and Union Station. The turntable will be restored and made operational and additional tracks will be built to display historic railway equipment. Cabin D, currently located adjacent to the Roundhouse machine shop, has been restored and relocated in Roundhouse Park. The Don Valley Station has been relocated and is being restored.
The John Street Roundhouse 2006
SAULT STE. MARIE CANAL,
Completed in 1895, this canal formed the last link in an all-Canadian navigation system stretching from the St. Lawrence River to Lake Superior. Designed and built by Canadians, the canal incorporated several engineering innovations. It was the world's longest lock and the first to operate with electrical power. It was also novel in using an emergency swing dam to protect the lock in case of accident.
THE FOURTH WELLAND CANAL
The fourth and current Welland Canal was mainly constructed between the years of 1913 and 1932
WYCHWOOD PARK STREETCAR BARNS
Benson Avenue, Toronto, Ontario
The Wychwood TTC streetcar repair barns are an excellent example of early 20th century industrial architecture. The facility had five attached brick buildings ranging from 198 to 326 feet long and 38 to 44 feet wide. Built between 1913 and 1921, the barns were the hub of the Toronto Civic Railway. Artscape has transformed the historic barns into a 60,000 sq. ft. multifaceted community centre where arts and culture, environmental leadership, heritage preservation, urban agriculture and affordable housing are brought together.
Lieu historique national du Canada des Forges-du-Saint-Maurice /Forges du Saint-Maurice National Historic Site of Canada
Ce lieu historique national du Canada des Forges-du-Saint-Maurice commémore l'établissement de la première communauté industrielle du Canada.
The Forges du Saint-Maurice National Historic Site commemorates the founding of the first industrial community in Canada
Lieu historique national du Canal-de-Lachine /Lachine Canal National Historic Site
Le canal de Lachine a été le précurseur de la révolution des transports au Canada, au début du XIXe siècle. Il a également joué un rôle déterminant dans le développement industriel de Montréal, notamment comme pourvoyeur d'énergie hydraulique. Enfin, ce corridor est devenu l'un des principaux centres de production manufacturière au Canada, des débuts de l'industrialisation, au milieu du XIXe siècle, jusqu'à la Deuxième Guerre mondiale.
The Lachine Canal was the forerunner of the transportation revolution in Canada in the early 19th century. It also played a decisive role in the industrial development of Montréal, notably as a supplier of hydraulic power. Finally, this corridor became one of the main manufacturing production centres in Canada, from the beginning of industrialization in the middle of the 19th century until the Second World War.
La Fonderie Darling est devenue un centre d'expositions et installations d'art contemporain, avec résidence d'artistes
Usine C, Centre de création et de diffusion pluridisciplinaire,
L'ancienne usine Raymond est devenue un centre de création pluridisciplinaire, incluant les arts médiatiques
Parc historique de la Poudrière de Windsor,
Ancienne usine de poudre noire, on y présente son histoire industrielle, avec exposition d'arts et d'objets. Programme éducatif
La Pulperie de Chicoutimi,
Ancienne usine de pulpe papier, on y présente son histoire industrielle, avec exposition d'arts et d'objets. Programme éducatif
La Chambre blanche,
Ancien site de la Quebec Heel Company, la Chambre blanche présente des expositions et installations d'arts contemporains, avec résidence d'artistes
Premier site canadien de fabrication de l'aluminium et site historique du patrimoine industriel canadien, l'Ancienne-Aluminerie-de-Shawinigan est devenu un centre d'expositions d'arts d'envergure internationale: Espace Shawinigan
Cette ancienne buanderie est maintenant une galerie privée d'art contemporain
Lieu historique national du Canada du Chantier A.C. Davie,
L'ancien chantier naval présente son histoire industrielle, avec exposition d'objets et équipements. Programme éducatif
La Cité de l'or et Corporation du Village minier de Bourlamaque,
Ce site minier (extraction de l'or) présente des expositions d'objets et d'équipements avec programme éducatif.
Musée de la nature et des sciences,
Cette ancienne usine de textile est devenue un important musée national des sciences et de la nature avec un programme éducatif.
Cet ancien entrepôt devenu le Musée du Port de Québec a été agrandi pour les fêtes du 400e anniversaire de fondation de la ville de Québec (2008)
Centre des Sciences de Montréal
Les hangars portuaires no.7, Quai King-Edward, ont été convertis en Centre d'expositions à caractère scientifique appuyé d'un important programme éducatif.
Corridor culturel de Griffintown Cultural Corridor,
Station de pompage Youville,
Inaugurée en 1916, c'est la première station de pompage des eaux usées à fonctionner à l'électricité à Montréal. Rattachée au Musée de Pointe-à-Callière, elle est maintenant un site patrimonial et lieu d'interprétation.
Territoires du Nord-Ouest
Prince Edward Island
Terre-Neuve & Labrador
Newfoundland & Labrador
2009-2015 | Web par/by Guy Deschênes
pour/for CONSERVING CANADA'S INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE - CONSERVATION DU PATRIMOINE INDUSTRIEL DU CANADA